To truly care for one another, we must love for others what we love for ourselves. What better way to love one another than to give charity? Apart from professing belief and prayer, charity is considered the third most important component of our faith. But what does our beloved Prophet say about charity? Why is it considered so important? Here are ten insightful hadith about why charity is so important.
1) There Are Many Forms of Charity “A charity is due for every joint in each person on every day the sun comes up: to act justly between two people is a charity; to help a man with his mount, lifting him onto it or hoisting up his belongings onto it, is a charity; a good word is a charity; and removing a harmful thing from the road is a charity.” (Al-Bukhari, Muslim)
2) It Protects You from Calamity The Prophet, upon him be peace, said: “Give charity without delay, for it stands in the way of calamity.” (Al-Tirmidhi)
3) It Protects You from Being Miserly Muhammad, upon him be peace, said: “Avoid doing injustice to others, for on the Day of Judgment, it will turn into manifold darkness, and safeguard yourself against miserliness, for it ruined those who were before you. It incited them to murder and treating the unlawful as lawful.” (Muslim)
4) It Is A Good Deed That Never Ends Muhammad, upon him be peace, said: “When a man dies, his deeds come to an end except for three things: Sadaqah Jariyah (ceaseless charity); a knowledge which is beneficial, or a virtuous descendant who prays for him (for the deceased).” (Muslim)
5) Charity Will Be A Shade on the Day of Judgment The Prophet, upon be peace, said: “The believer’s shade on the Day of Resurrection will be his charity.” (Al-Tirmidhi)
6) It Protects You from the Hellfire Prophet Muhammad, upon him be peace, said, “Protect yourself from hell-fire even by giving a piece of date as charity.” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)
7) It Increases What Allah (swt) Grants You “Allah, the Exalted, says, ‘Spend, O son of Adam, and I shall spend on you.’” – Prophet Muhammad, upon him be peace (Al-Bukhari and Muslim).
8) Charity Elevates Your Status Muhammad, upon him be peace, said: “Charity does not in any way decrease the wealth and the servant who forgives, Allah adds to his respect; and the one who shows humility, Allah elevates him in the estimation (of the people).” (Muslim)
9) Seek Only Allah (swt)’s Pleasure with Charity The Prophet, upon him be peace, said: “A crafty one, a miser, and one who keeps reminding people of what he has given, will not enter Paradise.” (Tirmidhi)
10) Don’t Delay in Giving Charity “Do not show lethargy or negligence in giving alms and charity till your last breath.” -Muhammad, upon him be peace (Bukhari and Muslim).
[Source: Zakat Foundation of America]